Friday, September 3, 2010

feeling better.

so last week, we got the keys to the new place and i promptly plummeted into a depressive tailspin. the place was filthy, looked forlorn and dingy, smelled horribly of kimchee, and just generally served to remind me that my plans to be a home owner this year just weren't gonna happen. i rallied and went to home depot to buy paint. i have a lot of feelings tied up in painting the walls. we never painted the walls here in almost 5 years. well, we did paint the playroom finally, about two years ago, after taking up the awful carpet and putting black and white checkerboard linoleum down...the walls looked downright brown after that, and i painted them two lovely shades of blue. but the whole rest of the house stayed white (ish) and i hung my stuff up and just ignored it. then, last year when we started looking for a home to buy, i comforted myself with the thought that soon, soon! i would be able to paint the walls whatever color i wanted.
i am big into painted walls. although i never wear colors, and for years i never decorated with colors, now i feel strongly about having color surround me. just two years ago i finally realized and admitted that i suffer from a bit of seasonal affective disorder, that is, the gray winters bum me out. to remedy that i went crazy for high wattage, full spectrum light bulbs, and lots of them. but what i really want is color.
hello, bollywood obsession. those colors, all those colors on everything...yes. that is what i need.
so, although we are renting this house, and probably (hopefully!) not for more than a year, i am painting all the rooms. all of them. different shades of blue, green, lavendar and gray. some red even, for trim, against some turquoise blue.

i am getting A LOT of help with this, although i planned to, and started to, do it all my own. see, josh thinks that doing all of this work is silly, but i don't agree with him. he says it is like painting a hotel room. but spending all of my time, which i have plenty of right now, since i remain unemployed, making this rental feel like mine, feel like home, isn't silly at all to me. it is necessary.

pictures next time.

2 comments:

  1. it sounds as if it will be lovely! I'm considering a gray for my sewing area! I can't wait to see it. ftr, who knows what Josh thinks of me, but I've painted every rental I've been in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you've infected us. Quinn's room will be orange with a very light blue gray and Conor's room will be bright blue with that same light blue gray.

    ReplyDelete